Quantity: 1 available
1 pages; A steel engraved portrait of William Thaw extracted from Cushing's History of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Including its Early Settlement... also Portraits of Some of its Prominent Men. Chicago: A. Warner & Co., 1889. The portrait measures 10" by 7" with the image and facsimile autograph centered; protective tissue guard in place. William Thaw, Sr. (1818 – 1889) was an American businessman who made his fortune in transportation and banking. Thaw endowed science fellowships at Harvard University and Princeton University and also underwrote the building of the Allegheny Observatory for John Brashear. His son Benjamin Thaw was a member of the South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club. The club, founded by Henry Clay Frick and composed of wealthy Pittsburgh industrialists including Carnegie, Andrew Mellon and Philander Knox, owned the South Fork Dam which collapsed on May 31, 1889 causing the Johnstown Flood. Another son Harry Kendall Thaw (1871-1947) murdered the architect Stanford White, who was having an affair with Thaw's wife.
Title: WILLIAM THAW [Steel Engraved Portrait]
Publisher: New York, Atlantic Publishing and Engraving: 1889
Book Condition: Very Good
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 35266
Keywords: Pittsburgh Pennsylvania William Thaw