Quantity: 1 available
1 pages; A steel engraved portrait of Francis Harper extracted from Cushing's History of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Including its Early Settlement... also Portraits of Some of its Prominent Men. Chicago: A. Warner & Co., 1889. The portrait measures 10" by 7" with the image and facsimile autograph centered; protective tissue guard in place. Engraved by John Sartain. Francis Herron (1774- 1860) was of Scotch-Irish descent. He studied theology at Dickinson College and was licensed to preach by Carlisle Presbytery Oct. 4, 1797. On his return from a tour into the then western wilds of Pennsylvania and Ohio, Herron preached at Pittsburgh to a congregation of 18 persons in a log structure which occupied the identical ground where the First Presbyterian church-edifice now stands. Returning to the Cumberland Valley, he settled at the Rocky Spring Church, where he served for ten years. On the occasion of a visit to Pittsburgh, Herron was invited to become their pastor, which he accepted, and was admitted to the Redstone Presbytery on June 18, 1811. Through Herron's shrewd management of the Church's resources, the Presbyterian Church embarked on establishing a theological seminary in Allegheny City.
Title: FRANCIS HERRON [Steel Engraved Portrait]
Publisher: Chicago, A. Warner & Co.: 1889
Book Condition: Very Good
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 35268
Keywords: Pittsburgh Pennsylvania Francis Harper