Quantity: 1 available
1 pages; A steel engraved portrait of William McCully extracted from Cushing's History of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Including its Early Settlement... also Portraits of Some of its Prominent Men. Chicago: A. Warner & Co., 1889. The portrait measures 10" by 7" with the image and facsimile autograph centered; protective tissue guard in place. William McCully was born about 1800 near Shane's Castle in County Antrim, Ireland. He immigrated to America with his family when he was quite young, sttling in Chartiers township. As a young man, McCully learned the trade of glass-blowing with Thomas Bakewell; later learning window glass at the O'Hara works on the South Side. He and Capt John Hay erected a flint glass fctory on Rqailroad street, but he withdrew when the works were submerged by the flood of 1832. In 1833 he built his own glass factory, making green and black bottles, then in partnership with William Johnsen founded a window glass business. In 1850 McCully bought the Sligo Stone Works Factory which he tore down and there constructed the first brick factory in Pittsburgh establishing William McCully & Company with his son John. William McCully was one of the fathers of the glass industry and the first to build a seven stone wheel oven for flattening glass west of the Allegheny mountains.
Title: WILLIAM McCULLY [Steel Engraved Portrait]
Publisher: Chicago, A. Warner Co.: 1889
Book Condition: Very Good
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 35320
Keywords: Pittsburgh Pennsylvania History William McCully Allegheny County Early Glass Industry 19th Century Glass Production