Quantity: 1 available
1 pages; A steel engraved portrait of John Herron extracted from Cushing's History of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Including its Early Settlement... also Portraits of Some of its Prominent Men. Chicago: A. Warner & Co., 1889. The portrait measures 10" by 7" with the image and facsimile autograph centered; protective tissue guard in place. Engraved by John Sartain. John Herron, born in 1792 on Herron's Branch and in 1812 moved to Pittsburgh. He started his business career as a clerk for Ephraim Blain in the lumber business. After only a few years, Herron had bought the business from Blair and was running it with great success. In partnership with Col. James Anderson, Herron purchased the steam saw and grist mill of Major William Anderson, the second steam engine west of the mountains, then later Herron took over sole ownership. Expanding his business interests, he purchased a brickyard and contracting business, then a large farm property with extensive coal deposits in Minersville (now part of Pittsburgh). Herron gave his personal attention to all his enterprises and was well acquainted with most of his employees and many members of their families. In 1833 Herron and his family moved from Pittsburgh to Minersville where he built a Presbyterian church and led an exemplary life until his death in 1863.
Title: JOHN HERRON [Steel Engraved Portrait]
Publisher: Chicago, A. Warner Co.: 1889
Book Condition: Very Good
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 35326
Keywords: Pittsburgh Pennsylvania History John Herron Allegheny County